JBCN School Blog
How To Keep Your Child Safe While On The Internet
For many, it can be a very tricky situation without any perfect solution and it can be tough to know where to start. There are various parental blocks, antivirus software, kid-friendly browsers, and also the temptation to avoid stress and ban the internet altogether. But, rather than going through this apprehension and anxiety, the best thing that can be done is to have an open conversation with your children.
When parents act as positive guardians to their children, they are putting the right tools in place to keep their children safe while also teaching them how to do it themselves. It means that as a parent, you should be aware of what your children should be exposed to at what age as kids these days have become tech-savvy way before than required.
They also need to be aware of the dangers of responding to messages from strangers and they should feel secure enough to tell their parents about the same. This is going to be more important since many companies are now coming up with different messenger/services, especially for children.
Here Are Some Tips For Keeping Your Child Safe On The Internet –
1. Setting Up Parents Controls And SettingsThere is various software that can block out the websites not suited for children, as well as control how much screen time the kids can get each day. You can also block certain domains at the router level. iOS and Android to offer parental controls to keep kids safe on the phone.
2. Basic Security ToolsInstalling a firewall and antivirus software on computers ensures that you are up to date on software patches. The safer you keep your computer, the safer your kids will be. Always make sure that the computer is kept in open sight that will make sure that the children aren’t heading anywhere they are supposed not to.
3. Cautionary Settings In Individual ApplicationsEvery application has some cautionary settings that can be put in place to safeguard children from the threats. For example, a Facebook account can be locked and can control who can see their profile and all their posts. Instagram can be turned into a private account to keep prying eyes from seeing what they are up to.
4. Set Reasonable Time And Usage LimitsSet rules about what your child can and can’t do when on the internet. Set time limits on their computer use. If they are researching homework, then it shouldn’t be included in the time limits. But make sure that they are actually using it for homework.
5. Tune Up Your Search EngineYour search engine can be pressed into service for free. Once you set restrictions, Google will block your sites with explicit content. Family Filter setup can also be done so that your child’s activities are monitored.
6. Make YouTube Safe For Your KidsYouTube is the new children’s TV. It is one of the most popular sites, but not all videos are appropriate for children. You can switch on the Restricted Mode in the settings and it will hide the videos that are flagged as containing inappropriate content.
While these are precautionary steps to prevent the young minds from the dark side of the internet, there is always a fear of them falling into this trap. It is therefore recommended that instead of helicoptering over them all the time, they are made aware of the challenges so that they may recognize the signs and save themselves. It is time to have an open, candid conversation with your children and be a confidante and guide whom they can turn to in time of doubt and need.
Written By- JBCN International School
Share with the world:
Posted on: Wednesday,2019,Apr,Wed