JBCN School Blog
Importance Of Wellness Programs and How is our School Supporting Wellness For All Kids
What better way than this quote to encapsulate how to achieve wellness. Before we dwell on the how, let’s take a quick look at the what and why of wellness.
What Is Wellness?The Oxford dictionary defines wellness as “The state of being in good health, especially as an actively pursued goal.” While Merriam-Webster says wellness is “The quality or state of being in good health especially as an actively sought goal.” –
Though there are many definitions to the word Wellness, there are a number of similar components to each definition.
- Wellness doesn’t come easy it is acquired. It’s a decision one makes make in life and it requires consistent focused action to accomplish.
- While wellness is related to being healthy, adopting an uplifting attitude towards life has a huge role to play in it. Hence an individual can have power over maintaining wellness than over one’s physical health conditions.
- There are different parameters to evaluate wellness and can be seen as a process, value or condition.
Although wellness as a concept may seem complicated, it can be considered as a series of positive choices that facilitate one to lead a richer purposeful life.
Even though wellness as an idea may appear to be complex, it tends to be considered as a chain of positive decisions that encourage one to lead a more fruitful enriching life.
Wellness And Its TypesDifferent Kinds Of Wellness Are As Mentioned Below:
1. Emotional Wellness:Emotional wellness begins with recognising and accepting one’s feelings, thought and behaviour in a holistic manner instead of categorising them as positive or negative feelings. This includes adapting to stress, life changes, and difficult times.
2. Spiritual Wellness:Spiritual wellness is the method by which one seeks meaning and purpose in life. This can be achieved in a variety of ways including chanting, prayer, meditation, yoga, as well as a careful assessment of your morals, values, and beliefs.
3. Physical Wellness:is all about taking care that the physical health of the body is at its peak condition. The magic mantra here is a sustainable well-balanced diet, suitable exercises and a large dose of self-control.
4. Social Wellness:is the ability to connect with others and maintain strong relationships with others and oneself (often beyond the social platforms). Being comfortable in one’s skin, accepting oneself completely is the first step towards social wellness. Being in the company of proactive people definitely helps is maintaining social wellness quotient.
5. Intellectual Wellness:has to do with participating in mentally stimulating activities that challenge your overall knowledge and skill sets. Being a lifelong learner, developing new hobbies, taking up old ones that you couldn’t pursue due to various reasons helps in keeping us intellectually fit.
6. Environmental Wellness:as the name suggests, this is about how being aware of one’s world. Taking responsibility to consciously reduce carbon footprints as well as conserving the Earth’s natural resources.
7. Occupational Wellness:has to do with maximizing your workplace happiness by focusing on work that brings you a sense of joy, satisfaction, and accomplishment. It can be achieved by exploring various careers pathways and successfully managing working place stressors.
8. Financial Wellness:simply put this is about money matters. Everything about money – how to save, spent, invest and make it for oneself without being obsessed or overwhelmed by it.
Why Is Wellness Important?
Everyone wants to live their life to the fullest potential. Life has a mind of its own. At times least expected life often throws a challenge and that is beyond our control. Fortunately for us, optimizing our overall well being is something we have full control upon.
Now coming to the How……
Having dwelled upon what and why of Wellness, it is needless to say that inculcating wellness is of utmost importance in the young generations. Catch them young and watch them grow as they say….
At JBCN International School this is achieved through its unique Mind Body Soul programme.
Mind Body Soul programme nurtures each child’s unique set of talents, strengths, and skills
Artistic Exploration, Sports Education and Social Awareness are the three categories that make up the creative experiences.
Artistic ExplorationOur programme objective is for learners to view every artistic medium as an expression of creativity, culture, tradition and our legacy to the future. The creative arts programme nurtures creativity and self-expression through a variety of media, techniques, and tools in Art, Craft, Music, Dance, Communication Skills, Cookery, Gardening, Theatre Arts and Publications.
Creative self-expression enhances every child’s sense of competence and well-being and helps children appreciate their own and others’ unique approach to life.
Sports EducationOur Sports Education Programme aims to create a sports culture that encourages fitness, a healthy lifestyle, teamwork and the spirit of sportsmanship in all walks of life. Our programme is designed to provide sportspersons the best of facilities, coaching, resources, and support in athletics, gymnastics, chess, skating, swimming, martial arts, cricket, football and basketball, among others.
As a vital part of our Mind Body Soul programme, sports education at JBCN International builds in our learners, resilience, perseverance, collaboration and equanimity
Social AwarenessOur programme objectives are to enhance learners’ awareness of social issues and create a sense of social responsibility.We encourage learners to contribute positively to the community by involvement in socially relevant concerns and actions initiated by NGOs and social service initiatives in the neighborhood by local community groups.Social Awareness nurtures empathy, caring and sharing within the school community and with the world at large. It encourages learners to be respectful of the feelings and perspectives of others.
“Mind and body heart and soul
We strive together towards our goal
To be the best that we can be
With the JBCN family”
That is the chorus of the JBCN school song which every learner knows by heart and is ingrained into them. In the JCBN network of schools, wellness is woven in its very fabric.
Written by- Subhaashini Ghosh – Career Counselor JBCN International School, Oshiwara
Share with the world:
Posted on: Friday,2019,Apr,Fri