JBCN School Blog
- Benefits Of Outdoor Education And Our School’s Outdoor Education Curriculum
- Importance And Benefits Of Holiday Homework
- How And Why It’s Important To Minimize Gender And Other Biases
- Psychological, Mental and Physical Benefits Of Sports Education
- 10 Steps To Transition Your Child Back Into A School Schedule
The Power Of Yoga In School
14 Amazing Benefits Of Yoga In SchoolsSchool and college-going students may have youth on their side, but that does not mean they are spared from the stresses and pressures of life. So, let’s talk about the benefits of yoga in schools.
Sitting at a desk for hours a day, going back home and pouring over books to finish the daily homework assignments, studying and acing numerous tests, participating in various extra-curricular activities, etc. all cause the body and mind to tense up.
To add to these, there are social and family challenges, anxiety, bullying and emotional that also take their toll on children.
Yoga, an elixir that works on almost every new age predicament such as obesity, depression, diabetes and panic attacks, is not a solution only for grown-ups but also for young children and can help them lead a better lifestyle as they grow up. Here are some of the benefits of including yoga for children in school:
Yoga helps them to deal with their stress and bring back some peace of mind. Those who regularly practice yoga not only report lower levels of stress and anxiety and subsequently improved academic performance.
2) Improves Memory And Attention SpanYoga helps to improve the memory function in both adults and children, a direct benefit of which would be a better academic performance in children. It also helps to improve children’s attention span and focus. In fact, yoga aids children suffering from ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) as well by reducing its core symptoms such as inattentiveness, hyperactivity and impulsivity.
Many children suffering from ADHD are able to reduce their medication with regular yoga practice. This is one of the amazing benefits of yoga in schools.
3) Helps To Manage WeightChildren spend long hours in sedentary poses and tend to consume a lot of junk food as well, both of which are a by-product of the new age lifestyle. Yoga helps to counterbalance this lifestyle.
Through regular practice of asanas, children (especially those who are not fond of playing sports) can manage a healthy weight. This helps to curb the problem of childhood obesity at a young age in a salubrious way.
4) Improves Flexibility, Balance And PostureSitting down to study for long hours at a time and too much screen time can lead to incorrect posture. This poor posture in childhood can develop into major anatomy complication in adult life.
The practice of various asanas on a regular basis leads to correction of posture, enhances flexibility and improves balance as it brings equilibrium to the whole body. This is one of the amazing benefits of yoga in schools.
5) Teaches Correct Breathing TechniquesBreathing is fundamental to life and how we breathe is directly related to our overall well-being. Good breathing affects our movement, our posture, and our ability to handle stress in a positive way.
Through pranayama and other breathing exercises in yoga, students can learn at a young age how to master the technique of breathing correctly and improve the quality of their life.
6) Promotes MindfulnessMindfulness is simply learning to be in the present. Focusing on your breath or directing your attention to the furthest sounds you can perceive is mindfulness; this can be done at any time of the day – even for a few seconds.
Mindfulness enables people to become less anxious and more relaxed. Children can become more mindful using creative and entertaining visualisation techniques. This is one of the amazing benefits of yoga in schools.
7) Encourages Self-Love And Self-CareYoga promotes healing from the inside rather than looking good on the outside. It teaches people how to respect and love their own bodies – an essential message for young children who are constantly advertised with warped body image ideas on social media.
With self-love, comes self-care and yoga can teach these values at a very young age. The children learn to be comfortable in their own skin and nurture it well. This is one of the amazing benefits of yoga in schools.
8) Helps To Bring Peace Of MindThe vastness of academic curriculum alone can baffle students and yet, they deal with many other extra-curricular activities and social life as well. By practising pranayama and mindfulness, students really learn how to handle the anxiety and manage the different aspects of life effectively.
The peace of mind stimulates the release of good hormones that have a snowball effect and uplifts the disposition of the child in general.
9) Improves Self-ControlThrough controlled breathing and controlled movement, yoga teaches people self-control. As a result, they do not react impulsively or make hasty decisions even in an emotional state.
With self-mastery, a person can keep his or her anger in check and make rational decisions when required. If a young yogi can learn self-control at a young age, indeed, no door can ever be closed for him or her. This is one of the amazing benefits of yoga in schools.
10) Reduces Absences And Violence In SchoolBecause of good health and balanced temperament, children are less likely to remain absent from school or pick fights with each other over small issues. Instead, they tend to engage more positively in school and develop healthy relationships with their teachers and peers.
11) Enhances Coping SkillsAs mentioned before, children are burdened with a lot of stress. Yoga teaches children how to correctly cope with the stress, manage it, and stay productive. This is because the children learn how to breathe deeply and be more mindful.
12) Boosts Immunity And Improves Physical AppearanceAlongside its myriad health benefits, yoga also boosts immunity and prevents attacks from different viruses and bacteria by increasing the levels of antibodies. Yoga promotes blood circulation which can work wonders for the skin, hair and nails. A healthy body feels and looks happy.
13) Improves The Quality Of SleepChildren should sleep for up to 7-8 hours each night. A good night’s sleep allows the body to be healthy, ready, and energetic for the next day. As yoga allows the body and the mind to relax, practitioners notice a better quality in their sleep. With better sleep, children can focus better in class, play more actively, and perform better at examinations.
Yoga is an age-old art but is relevant in present times more than ever before. When it comes to benefits of yoga, this is just the tip of the iceberg. It has multiple gross and fine rewards which can help you live a healthy and joyful life. Gift your child the abundance of yoga and watch as the benefits slowly unfold! These are the amazing benefits of yoga in schools.
Share with the world:
Posted on: Monday,2018,Apr,Mon